Saturday, June 9, 2012

NBA or WNBA? (Not Another Sexist blog post)

When I say NBA multiple names come to mind: 
Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Dennis Rodman, Scottie Pippen, David Robinson, Isaiah Thomas, and my personal favorite Reggie Miller.  

I can go on and on and rattle off the names of greats that have come and gone through the National Basketball Association more commonly referred to as the NBA.  There are so many legends in this sport alone that it can make a sports enthusiast giddy with excitement just thinking about the flashy dunks, beautiful passes and clutch 3-pointers from down town.  

Rebecca Lobo taking it to the hoop
Now I know what you're thinking... you're thinking I'm going to say that I can't name a single WNBA player worth their salt and you'd be wrong!  Completely wrong.  

Ladies, a shout out to you... some of you can ball.  Like seriously ball with the skill and precision of any of the greats I mentioned previously.  Greats like Diana Turasi, Rebecca Lobo, and Cynthia Cooper are just some of the stars in the WNBA that could most likely take good old MJ to school (Those names were non-google aided by the way).  Actually I wouldn't mind seeing the ladies go toe to toe with the guys in a good game of one on one.  

Reggie Miller, most likely taking a 3-pointer
from another area code.  Of course he'll make it...
he always does
You know... Pandora had a box a lot like this but I'm going to open it anyway.  I want to know what would happen if the NBA and the WNBA were integrated?  Yes you heard me, have both women and men on the same court side by side, teammates.  Sounds crazy?  Perhaps...

Ok, so the differences between women and men are obviously huge just in the way they're built alone.  And I can hear you saying it now.  "But Josh!  Women aren't as physically built as the men, they'd get hurt playing with them."  Or some might take this angle "Josh you're crazy it would never work, nobody would go for that... just leave things alone."  

Nate Robinson (left) at 5'9" next to
Shaquille O'Neal (right) 7'1"
I ask why can't it work?  If it's an issue of the physical differences there are small guys all over the league.  Need I bring up Mr. Nate Robinson?  For those of you who don't follow basketball, Nate Robinson currently plays for the New York Knicks.  What's so unique about Nate?  Well he's one of the shortest players in the league standing just 5'9" and weighing in at 180 lbs.  For reference, I also happen to be 5'9" (ok more like 5' 8.5"... I'm not ashamed) and weigh just 145 lbs.  

Don't feel sorry for Nate though, he's a formidable force on the basketball court averaging 11.2 points per game (ppg) and 4.5 assists per game (APG).  Hardly helpless if you ask me.  There have been other such examples like Spud Webb, most famous for his work on the Atlanta Hawks stood a tiny 5'7" and who could forget tiny little Muggsy Bogues?  Best remembered for his role on the Charlotte Hornets (Currently the New Orleans Hornets)  Standing at just 5'3" tall!  These pint sized ballers have (And had) great careers despite their physical limitations.  

So why bother doing this? Well for one I think it would add the "history" factor that I believe WNBA lacks in it's brief 15 year history, it would also give exposure to some of the league's brightest stars.  But that's just my opinion...

I want to know what you think.. so here are the questions:

Do you think the WNBA and the NBA should be integrated?  Why or why not?  

Are you really a Hockey fan and not care about basketball?  

Why does everything rotate counterclockwise?!  (Seriously it does, try flushing your toilet and watch which way the water flows)


Disclaimer:  When responding be respectful, lets not offend ladies or gentlemen commenting on this blog.  Thanks!  

No comments:

Post a Comment